HIGH BILL CONCERNS
Electric usage varies from day to day and month to month depending upon a variety of factors including your daily habits, the weather, and the time of year. An increase in your electric usage could be caused by a variety of things. Before contacting San Isabel Electric about your high bill concerns, please take the following possibilities into consideration as potential explanations.
- Longer billing cycle – Determine how many billing days are on your current bill. Electric bill billing days should be similar from bill to bill but can fluctuate a day or two. The number of days in your billing cycle is listed on your bill.
- Increased energy consumption in response to seasonal and weather changes – Increased consumption due to seasonal variation (eg. increased use of a heater or air conditioner.) Bills are generally higher during the winter months, due to both the increased energy requirements for home heating and fewer daylight hours, which leads to increased use of lighting.
- Adding new appliances – Adding or using electrical appliances such as tools, pumps, additional refrigerator(s) or freezer(s), or anything with an electric motor will affect usage.
- Time spent at home/lifestyle changes – Lifestyle changes can have a drastic effect on electric bills. Kids returning home, or friends or relatives staying with you can have an effect. If the number of people living in your home increases, your energy use can go up. More people means more showers, cooking and laundry, which can significantly increase your energy use.
- Inefficient appliances/repairs – The efficiency of household appliances has dramatically increased over the last few years. Older, less efficient appliances in your home may be using more energy. Click here for exclusive rebates for San Isabel Electric member-owners.
- Meter malfunction – Meter malfunction is rarely the cause of a high electric bill. In fact, by using our energy management tool, SmartHub, to track their hourly and daily consumption, members can often pinpoint what is impacting their electric bill.
LOWERING YOUR ENERGY USE
San Isabel Electric is committed to helping members manager their energy usage. We have several programs and products to help member-owners save time, energy and money.
Colorado Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (Leap)
LEAP is a federally funded program that helps eligible hard-working Colorado families, seniors and individuals pay a portion of their winter home heating costs. LEAP works to keep communities warm during the winter (November – April) by providing assistance with heating costs, equipment repair, and/or replacement of inoperable heating tools. While the program is not intended to pay the entire cost of home heating, we aim to help alleviate some of the burdens that come with Colorado’s colder months.
For more information call 1-866-HEAT-HELP (1-866-432-8435) toll free or click here to visit the LEAP website.
Colorado Energy Office Weatherization Program
Pueblo County’s Weatherization Department works with the Colorado’s Energy Office Weatherization (CEO) Program to improve the energy efficiency of all residential structures throughout Colorado. Energy costs weigh heavily on low-income households. The CEO program provides energy upgrades to income-qualified homes to help keep energy costs low. Eligibility to participate in the CEO Program depends on income-level.
To find out if you or someone you know is eligible, contact Pueblo County’s Weatherization Department Sherri Reynolds at (719) 583-6315, or call 1-866-HEAT-HELP (1-866-432-8435) toll-free. Click here for more information about the Weatherization program.