San Isabel 69 kilovolt line serves about half of our territory and a third of our membership. The line, built in the 1950s, is being upgraded as a multiyear project beginning in 2017 and is expected to end in 2020.
The upgrade will:
- improve power quality
- improve reliability from Walsenburg to the New Mexico border and all of Las Animas County.
- decrease blinking and outages
- replace older materials with safer and smarter new materials. This is a ground-up rebuild. Everything in the ground is coming out and being replaced.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I lose power during the upgrade?
San Isabel Electric doesn’t anticipate any outages during construction.
I don't have power and I wasn’t notified of the plan for my upgrade.
Feel free to call our office Toll-Free at 1 (800) 279-7432 or (719) 547-2160 if you have any questions so we can help you with your needs. You can also check the outage map on our homepage for unplanned outage information.
For safety reasons, member-owners are asked to not approach the Lineworkers in the field for scheduling information and questions about the upgrades.
Why do the rebuild?
We are making the investment in YOU, our member-owners to provide you with the most reliable power as possible. The smarter, more efficient, modern materials of the new system require fewer repairs, less maintenance, fewer outages and fewer unexpected costs which helps ensure steady rates for years to come.
- The new aluminum, steel-core reinforced wire is more durable than the old wire, which will require less maintenance and fewer repairs.
- The new poles are treated to make them more resistant to weather damage as well as more fire resistant.
- The new system will be able to support future community growth and development.